Le Petit Courrier de la Nouvelle-Écosse
The Petit Courrier dates from 1937. Its founder, Désiré d’Eon, created it because the people of southwestern Nova Scotia had few opportunities to read in French. The printing press, the chair, the desk and other accessories used by Désiré d’Eon are displayed in the basement of the Musée des Acadiens des Pubnicos.
Until 1972, it was printed and published in West Pubnico. In 1947, “Le Petit Courier” gets a new printing method called linotype. To give the newspaper a new orientation, the Acadian Federation of Nova Scotia bought it in 1970-1971.
Following this, “L’imprimerie Lescarbot Ltée” was founded by a group of fifteen people. The company buys the newspaper but Désiré remains a shareholder. The Southwestern newspaper, “Le petit courrier du sud-ouest de la Nouvelle-Écosse” became “Le Petit Courrier de la Nouvelle-Écosse”. In October 1977, the word “petit” was removed from the newspaper. Since then, he is known by the name “Le Courrier”.