Photos des pierres tombales et monuments du
cimetière de l'Église Immaculée Conception, Pubnico-Est

Photos of the headstones and monuments in the
cemetery at Immaculate Conception Church, East Pubnico

Les gens dont les noms de famille sont peu clairs sont énumérés par leurs prénoms.

People whose last names are unclear are listed by their first names

A (Adams, Amirault, Amiro, Archibald)
B (Belliveau, Boudreau, Bowers, Burson)
C (Cameron, Cottreau, Crowley)
D (d'Entremont, d'Eon, Dixon, Dolan, Doucette, Dulong)

H,J,K (Hipson, Kennedy)
L
(LeBlanc, Letteny, Lloyd)
M,P,R,S,T (Muise, Pothier, Slaunwhite, Stoddard, Surette, Therialut)
U,V,W,Z (Unknown,Vogel, Wrayton, Zinck)

Le nombre à la fin de la description de certaines des images dans ces galeries correspond aux numéros de lot dans l'image ci-dessous.
The number at the end of the description of some of the images in these galleries corresponds to the lot numbers in the image below.

lots


Pierre d’Entremont of West Pubnico was entrusted with the building of Immaculate Conception Church in 1875, a work completed in 1879. In 1910 Father A. Fortier became the first resident priest, but stayed only six weeks. It was not until 1912 that the parish had a permanent resident priest, Father Lichtenberger, who served until 1916. There has been no resident priest at Immaculate Conception since 1996.

In 1919 major alterations were carried out. (The original size of the first church built in 1875 was where the pillars are presently inside the church. Part of the original roof is still contained in the upstairs of the west side.) An addition to the west included an enclosed entryway and the enlargement of the bell tower. The addition to the east side consisted of the sacristy and the flower room, and on the south an enclosed entry. The windows were also changed at that time. The blessing of these renovations as a new church and restoration of the old was held on 29 July 1919 by Archbishop McCarthy of Halifax

A Present and Historical View of East Pubnico pages 145-146

A few points of interest (written by Denise and Walter d'Entremont - 1987):

1 - The surname found the most often on the tombstones in this cemetery are that of Amirault/Amiro, and by Father Albéni Poitras's parish visits the Amirault's are still in greater number.

2 - The oldest inscription is on tombstone "Anthony drowned January 13 1873 son of Machurine and Margaret Amiro".

3 - Monument No 15, is a very particular one, made of metal and informs us on a family of Irish descent; in reading the inscriptions you can observe Maria Wrayton's name (the mother) who died September 7, 1879. Michael Wrayton (the father), his daughter Cassie Eugene 17 yrs and his son Lovell Edgeworth 19 rs who all drowned Dec. 7, 1879. Referringto an article: "The Wrayton Family" by Rev Clarence d'Entremont this accident happened in Argyle Bay when the three Wrayton's wre on their way to see another daughter Sophia E. at Lower Argyle or coming from seeing her.

4 - A wooden cross (a very temporary monument) bears the inscription "H. L. D'Entremont DCD Dec. 11 1944 Age 82". Here is the resting place of the remains of H. Léander d'Entremont, historian who was able to preserve the history of Pubnico.*

5 - Father Arcade Thériault, born the 10 of August 1906, ordained the 24th June 1934, died the 7th January 1965 R.I.P. Father Thériault was parish priest at the Immaculée Conception church from 1952-1965.

6 - Cross at the back of the cemetery was erected in 1980 in memory of John Amirault.

7 - Simon d'Entremont 1788-1886. In 1836 the first member of Parliament elected to the Nova Scotia Legislature by Argyle Township. In 1837 the first Acadian to sit in the Chamber, etc.

* H. Leander d'Entremot now has a permanent tombstone

************************************************

La construction de l’église Immaculée Conception en 1875 a été confiée à Pierre d'Entremont de Pubnico-Ouest, une œuvre achevée en 1879. En 1910, le Père A. Fortier est devenu le premier prêtre résident, mais il est seulement resté six semaines. Il a fallu attendre 1912 pour que la paroisse ait un prêtre résident permanent, le Père Lichtenberger, qui a servi jusqu'à 1916. Il n'y a pas eu de prêtres résidants à l'Immaculée Conception depuis 1996.

En 1919, des modifications importantes ont été réalisées. (Les dimensions originales de la première église construite en 1875 étaient où les gros piliers à l’intérieur se trouvent maintenant dans l'église. Une partie du toit originale est encore contenue dans le premier étage du côté ouest.) Un ajout à l'ouest comprenait une entrée fermée et l'élargissement du clocher. L'ajout du côté est est composé de la sacristie et la salle de fleur, et au sud une entrée fermée. Les fenêtres ont également été modifiées à cette époque. La bénédiction de ces rénovations comme nouvelle église et la restauration de l'ancien a eu lieu le 29 Juillet 1919 par l'archevêque de Halifax McCarthy.

Quelques points d'interet (par Denise et Walter d'Entremont - 1987):

1 - Le nom qu'on trouve le plus souvent sur les pierres tombales de ce Cimetière eset celui de Amirault/Amiro, et par les visites de paroisse du Père Albéni Poitras, les Amirault/Amiro sont encore les plus nombreux.

2 - La plus vieille inscription est sur la pierre: Anthony noyé le 13 janvier 1873, fils de Machurine et Margaret Amiro.

3 - Une colonne bien particulière, faite de métal, nous renseigne sur une famille de descendance irlandaise. En lisant les inscription on remarquera le nom de Marie Wrayton (mère) décédée le 17 septembre 1879. Michael Wrayton (père), sa fille Cassie Eugene 17 ans et son fils Lovell Edgeworth 19 ans, tous noyés le 7 décembre 1879. D'après un article: "The Wrayton Family" par le Père Clarence J. d'Entremont, cet accident serait arrivé dans la baie d'Argyle, lors d'un voyage pour visiter sa fille Sophia E.

4 - Croix en bois usée, (monument bien temporaire) porte l'inscription: "H. L. d'Entremont DCD Dec 11 1944 age 82",
c'est ici où repose le corps de H. Léander d'Entremont un historien qui a sur préserver l'histoire de Pubnico. *

5 - "Père Arcade Theriault né le 10 aoùt 1906, ordonné le 24 juin 1934, décedé le 7 janvier 1965. R.I.P." Père Theriault fut curé de la Paroisse Immaculée Conception de 1952 à 1965.

6 - La Croix à l'arrière du Cimetière fut erigée an 1980 à la memoire de John Amirault.

7 - "Simon d'Entremont, 1788-1886. 1836- Premier député à la Législature de la Nouvelle-Ecosse par le Township d'Argyle. 1837-Premier Acadien à sieger à la Chambre etc..."

* H. Leander d'Entremont a maintenant une pierre tombale permanente

church
cemetery
photos Ted C. d'Eon

Recherchée et compilée par Lisette d'Eon, stagiaire du site p@c
Researched and compiled by Lisette d'Eon, c@p site worker